Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Please Help Simba Find A New Home

UPDATE:  SIMBA WAS ADOPTED AUGUST 3, 2011 !!!


While neither this blog nor my Facebook page are for crossposting animals in need, this is a personal plea from me.  As you read, you will understand why I am posting this.




On June 7th, my husband and I went to the local humane society to walk and love on dogs.  We spent about 2 hours or so, and gave attention to 6 or 7.  They were all great dogs, and we enjoyed the time spent with them.  While I liked them all, and think they would make great family members for the right person or family, there was one who truly touched my heart that day.

I was sitting in the shade alongside the main building when my husband brought him out.  I knew immediately he was a Pit Bull.  He walked sedately as my husband led him to the grassy area to stretch his legs.  As had become our routine, after walking the dog my husband brought him over to me to love on.  His name is Simba.

I called Simba over and he willingly came.  As I reached out to pet him, he surprised me by getting close, then tucking his head under my chin and into my shoulder.  I put my arms around him, holding him and talking softly to him.  After several minutes, he pulled back a bit.  Imagine my surprise when he placed his paws gently on my shoulders and started giving me wet kisses!  I continued petting him and talking to him.  He enjoyed the attention so much, as if it had been a very long time since anyone had given it.

Simba is about 3 years old.  He’s light brown with pale blue eyes.  He is shedding badly, and is underweight, but nothing a bath, brushing, and TLC can’t take care of.  Simba is tall – when we were sitting he was at least a head taller than me (I’m about 5’4”) – so there may be some mix in him.

Simba is a gentle giant, and like all shelter animals, deserves a home of his own.  He was obviously someone’s pet at some point in his life.  Whatever circumstance brought him to the shelter has not diminished his affection, gentleness and behavior.  He is very well mannered, and basically ignores other dogs while out walking.  I have no idea about cats.  I have no further information other than what I have written in this note.

Simba was the impetus for my writing I Have a Dream.  He touched my heart in a way I was not expecting, and when his picture disappeared from the shelter website the next day, I was heartbroken.  I feared that he had been killed because Pit Bulls are so discriminated against, his condition wasn’t the best, and Alabama shelters are completely full since the April tornadoes. 

Since that day, I have not gone back to the shelter, or even called, because I was so afraid of what I might find out.  I love animals, and I know each time I visit one of the dogs or cats I gave attention to might not be there.  I know it would hurt for a bit because I hate the idea of kill shelters and that our local humane society is one.  I know it would hurt because a sweet animal had been killed.

But because Simba touched me so deeply, the thought of him being killed brought me a sense of despair I wasn’t expecting.  I checked the shelter’s website daily, praying that it was a database glitch.  I prayed that he had been removed because his owner had reclaimed him, or he had been adopted.

On June 20th, my prayers were answered in part.  Simba was back on the shelter’s website!!  When I saw his picture, I felt a deep sense of relief and happiness; tears of joy were in my eyes.  While he had not been reclaimed or adopted, he was alive.

Now I need to help find Simba a good home.  While a furever home is preferred (as it is for any shelter or rescued animal), finding him a good foster home and getting him out of the shelter would be a start. 

I would foster or adopt him myself if I could.  Circumstances do not allow me to. 

Tears have filled my eyes as I have been writing this.  That is how strongly I feel, and how deeply Simba has touched me.  Please help Simba get out of the shelter and into a good home.  He will be a wonderful family member for some lucky person.

Thank you for reading this.

SIMBA
Animal ID – 13185830

Shelby Humane Society
381 McDow Road | Columbiana, AL 35051

If you are interested in learning more about Simba, please e-mail Sara (sara@shelbyhumane.org) and list Simba’s name and ID number in the subject line.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ground rules for posting comments: No profanity or personal attacks. Please comment on the subject of the story itself. If you do not follow these rules, I will remove your post. Keep it civil, folks!

Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site.

Thanks!